Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The First 25 Weeks

The First Trimester (weeks 0-12):
Since I didn't think of starting this records page until right now, 25 weeks into my pregnancy, I am just going to do a little catch up. Not really anything exciting because, relatively, it's been a wonderfully BORING pregnancy. I do not get morning sickness for my pregnancies, but since I caught this one so early and my progesterone levels seemed little low, Simckes prescribed me with a medication (name) to help keep my levels up. That actually made me nauseous enough to want to vomit on several occasions, but luckily, I didn't. I do, however, get EXTREME exhaustion. I mean EXTREME... I can barely move, everything makes me tired and I can only do like one thing at a time and then I have to take a nap. It was pretty hard on Neil because it meant that he had to pick up more of the slack, not that he wasn't already. We waited the full three months to tell our family and friends, which was hard. Well, it was hard not to tell our friends, but easy not to tell my mom. She usually gets so anxious during my pregnancies that it is better to tell her after I've had the baby for her sanity but once I started getting f-a-t we had no choice. We even went to Neil's family reunion and family beach trip and didn't tell anyone. We thought they'd guess because I wasn't drinking any beer or anything but nope... nobody said a thing. Guess it was for the better anyway because we were trying to avoid someone saying something on FB or calling up to congratulate my parents and then they would find out before we could tell them!

The Second Trimester (weeks 13-28):
Well, really this is weeks 13-25 but I didn't want to forget that the 2nd trimester goes through week 28... pregnant brain, you know. I don't know if I just haven't recovered all the way from my previous two pregnancies or if it just isn't as bad this time around but I also don't think I want to know the answer to that question. This trimester had been pretty uneventful until last week - more on that in a second. About half way through this trimester, the exhaustion has eased up, but I could still go to bed every night at 8:00pm and stay in bed until 7:00am. At about 24 weeks, my pregnancy induced mitrovalve prolapse kicked in - totally awesome! *sarcasm* So, every morning when I get the kids up, make breakfast, get them dressed then out the door (which is a major ordeal) I feel like I want to d-i-e. Well, it's not quite that bad, but I feel like I want to crawl back in bed. I feel like my limbs cannot move and like I weigh 100,000 lbs. Speaking of pounds, up to week 22, I had only gained 10lbs.; however, now that we are in December and there are cookies at work and icecream in the fridge, at week 25, I am now 15lbs. Guess I need to cut out some of the sweets. Ugh!
So, my major ordeal. Neil had class last Wednesday (Melton), then went out for drinks with the guys. About the time I was about to go to bed I felt something weird. I went to the bathroom and I had started bleeding. Not spotting, but bleeding. Freaked me out! So, I tried to call Neil - like 15 times in a row, but he didn't answer. I called Rob's phone and he answered - thank God! I had him rush home and after speaking to Simckes, I drove to the hospital where he happened to be with another patient. He checked me and everything looked normal, except for the bleeding. So, he had me stay overnight then go for an ultrasound the next day. They checked the baby, the placenta and my cervix and everything looked normal. I went for my F/U today and everything still looked fine. I have no idea why that happened but am glad it was nothing. The only thing I did learn was the they baby will be up every night from 12:30am until 1:30am playing.

Thoughts on Gender & Names & Birth:
We are not finding out what we are having... however, everyone in my family that has made a prediction, predicts that it will be a boy. Who knows, weight gain - same, heartburn - same, easier to think of boy than girl names - same. So, who knows, everyone could be right... 15 more weeks until we find out! So excited!
My mom wants us to name the baby either for her dad, Jerome or her grandmother, Golda. So, we are attempting to incorperate those names, a family name from Neil's side and a unique name for the baby. I do have some boy names in mind and a couple of girl names that I want to run by Neil but so far, no definate leaders. I have sent out a help request on FB which has been helpful. There were some beautiful names suggested and we talked with our teachers, Rabbi Neal and Carol who gave us alot to think about. When we talked the other day, I found that Neil thinks of our new baby in terms of how the dynamics will change. We will go from a family of 4 to a family of 5. Adeena will be a middle child and Eli will be an older brother to two siblings. We even had to get a minivan in place of our Mazda. I think of the baby in terms of that also, but moreso in terms of how Neil just converted and we now have a complete Jewish family. If we have a boy, Neil will be able to participate fully in his brit milah and if we have a girl, I'm sure that will be just as special for him. I also always think of the baby while I am swimming. The water is such a calm, meditative and peaceful place and also very healing. I always feel happier, calmer and I feel better after I have swam.
We had a wonderful natural birth with Adeena and want the same for this birth. We have hired Julie Guttman from Circle of Life Doula Services for this birth as she was such a great support to me and Neil during all our childbirth experiences. I am very excited about delivering at St. Luke's because they have Jaccuzi tubs for natural mom's to labor and I want to use them if I can! Now, if only I could make the time to go on the labor & delivery tour with Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment