Monday, January 4, 2010

Not to complain, but...

Mornings are so hard for me.  For all three of my pregnancies, I have had pregnancy induced mitral valve prolapse.  This means that basically, I have a heart murmur during pregnancy.  For most people, it doesn't affect them and is seen in about 12% of pregnancies according to the link above.  It is in response to the increase in blood needed during pregnancy.  Because of it, I have to get an antibiotic during delivery or dentist appointments although there is some debate on whether it is really necessary. 

My doctor recommended a beta blocker medication - Atenolol .  I refused - I am not a medication type of person and I am glad I refused because some of the known effects are that it provokes asthma and masks signs of type 2 diabetes.  Not that I would be taking it long term, but still.  Although my doctor looked at me like I was from outerspace, he did recommend that I drink 16oz of water first thing in the morning before getting out of bed and wait 5 minutes.  I hope that helps some.

I happen to feel the heart palpatations and it greatly affects me during the day (don't worry mom, I am keeping the doctor informed and he is watching it).  One minute I feel great and the next minute my heart is racing.  If I don't sit down, I am likely to faint but that hasn't happened yet.  It affects me the most in the mornings when I am getting the kids ready for school/babysitting.  Typical - right?  So, my morning goes like this... get cereal for one child - rest, get cereal for another child - rest, get a drink for one - rest, get a drink for another - rest, repeat until kids are fed, dishes are in the sink, kids are changed, washed up, teeth are brushed, stuff is out in the car, coats/hats/gloves are on, etc.  You get the picture.  I love pretty much everything about being pregant, except this.  This sucks. 

**I do have to say thank you and I love you!!! to my husband who has been so wonderful and is taking great care of me!!!  Not that you don't already know this - but nothing would get done without you. *** **Smootch**

No comments:

Post a Comment